Common terms used in these rules:
These are the official rules that govern how the Joint Challenge on Dominant and Complementary Emotion Recognition Using Micro Emotion Features and Head-Pose Estimation contest promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “contest” or the “challenge” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “organizers”, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to iCV; "participant”, “you,” and “yourself” refer to an eligible contest participant.
This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of the winner(s). The goal of one track of the contest is estimating complementary and dominant emotions from the given dataset. The goal of the other track is headpose estimation based on depth data also provided within the competition.
- You are eligible to enter this contest if you meet the following requirements:
- You are an individual or a team of people desiring to contribute to the tasks of the challenge and accepting to follow its rules; you are employed by a research laboratory, startup or other legal entity having a scientific research department or activity ; and
- You are not an member of iCV or affiliated with the research group in a close way (immediate family).
- You are not involved in any part of the administration and execution of this contest; and
- This contest is void within the geographic area identified above and wherever else prohibited by law.
- If you choose to submit an entry, but are not qualified to enter the contest, this entry is voluntary, and any entry you submit is governed by the remainder of these contest rules; iCV reserves the right to evaluate it for scientific purposes. If you are not qualified to submit a contest entry and still choose to submit one, under no circumstances will such entries qualify for sponsored prizes.
- To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
- Entry contents: The participants are required to submit prediction results and code. To be eligible for prizes, the top ranking participants are required to publicly release their code under a license of their choice, taken among popular OSI-approved licenses (http://opensource.org/licenses) and make their code accessible on-line for a period of not less than three years following the end of the challenge (only required for top three ranked participants of the competition). Participants will be asked to fill out a survey (fact sheet) briefly describing their method. Participants are also invited to submit a maximum 6-page paper for the proceedings of the FG2020. To be eligible for prizes, top ranked participants score must improve the baseline performance provided by the challenge organizers.
- Pre-requisite: There is no pre-requisite to participate, including no requirement to have participated in previous challenges.
Use of data provided
All data provided by iCV are freely available to the participants from the website of the challenge under license terms provided with the data. The data are available only for open research and educational purposes, within the scope of the challenge. iCV and the organizers make no warranties regarding the database, including but not limited to warranties of non-infringement or fitness for a particular purpose. The copyright of the videos remains in property of their respective owners. By downloading and making use of the data, you accept full responsibility for using the data. You shall defend and indemnify iCV and the organizers, including their employees, Trustees, officers and agents, against any and all claims arising from your use of the data. You agree not to redistribute the data without this notice.
- The organizers will use test data to perform the final evaluation, hence the participants’ final entry will be based on test data.
- Training and validation data:
- The contest organizers will make available to the participants a training dataset with truth labels, and a validation set with no truth labels. The validation data will be used by the participants for practice purposes to validate their systems. It will be similar in composition to the test set (validation labels will be provided in the final test stage of the challenge).
The organizers may also perform additional post-challenge analyses using extra data, but the results will not affect the ranking of the challenge performed with the test data.
- The entries of the participants will be submitted on-line via the Codalab web platform. During the development period, the participants will receive immediate feed-back on validation data released for practice purpose. For the final evaluation, the results will be computed automatically on test data submissions. The performances on test data will not be released until the challenge is over.
- Original work, permissions: In addition, by submitting your entry into this contest you confirm that, to the best of your knowledge:
- Your entry is your own original work; and
- Your entry only includes material that you own, or that you have permission from the copyright / trademark owner to use.
Potential use of entry
- Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- Are granting us an irrevocable, worldwide right and license, in exchange for your opportunity to participate in the contest and potential prize awards, for the duration of the protection of the copyrights to:
- Use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze results submitted or produced by your code and other material submitted by you in connection with this contest and any future research or contests sponsored by iCV; and
- Feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this contest in all media (now known or later developed);
- Agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- Understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives or our co-sponsor’s representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives or our co-sponsor’s representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ or our co-sponsor’s representatives unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- Understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these official rules.
- If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this contest.
Submission of entries
- Follow the instructions on the Codalab website to submit entries.
- The participants will be registered as mutually exclusive teams. Each team may submit only one single final entry. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not functioning properly.
- The participants must follow the instructions. We will automatically disqualify incomplete or invalid entries.
Judging the entries:
The organizing iCV will select a panel of judges to judge the entries; all judges will be forbidden to enter the contest and will be experts in causality, statistics, machine learning, computer vision, or a related field, or experts in challenge organization. A list of the judges will be made available upon request. The judges will review all eligible entries received and select three winners for each of the competition tracks based upon the prediction score on test data. The judges will verify that the winners complied with the rules, including that they documented their method by filling out a fact sheet.
The decisions of these judges are final and binding. The distribution of prizes according to the decisions made by the judges will be made within three (3) months after completion of the last round of the contest. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion based on the above criteria, not award any or all of the contest prizes below. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by giving preference to the earliest submission, using the time stamp of the submission platform.
Prizes and Awards
- Top ranked participants will be granted with travel awards (based on availability) and winner certificate, and invited to join as author a paper together with the organizers to a top high impact factor journal.
- You may not exchange your prize for cash; you may not exchange any prize for other merchandise or services.
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner.
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
- If there is any change to data, schedule, instructions of participation, or these rules, the registered participants will be notified at the email they provided with the registration.
- If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address listed on your final entry within seven days following the determination of winners. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner, unless forbidden by applicable law.
- Winners who have entered the contest as a team will be responsible to share any prize among their members. The prize will be delivered to the registered team leader. If this person becomes unavailable for any reason, the prize will be delivered to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to make the winning entry.
- If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release and applicable tax forms. If you are a potential winner and are a minor in your place of residence, and we require that your parent or legal guardian will be designated as the winner, and we may require that they sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release on your behalf. If you, (or your parent/legal guardian if applicable), do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you (or the designated parent/legal guardian) and select an alternate selected winner.
We will post changes in the rules or changes in the data as well as the names of confirmed winners (after contest decisions are made by the judges) online on http://icv.tuit.ut.ee/fc2017. This list will remain posted for one year or will be made available upon request by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By entering this contest you agree:
- To abide by these official rules;
- That iCV’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this contest; and
- That by accepting a prize, iCV may use your team name, your name, and your place of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this contest, without payment or compensation to you. The declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release provided to the potential winner will make reference to obtaining his/her free consent to use his/her name and place of residence. In any case, the lack of such consent does not prevent the winner from receiving the prize.
- The data are available only for research and educational purposes, within the scope of the challenge. iCV and the organizers make no warranties regarding the database, including but not limited to warranties of non-infringement or fitness for a particular purpose. The copyright of the videos remain the property of their respective owners. By downloading and making use of the data, you accept full responsibility for using the data. You shall defend and indemnify iCV and the organizers, including their employees, Trustees, officers and agents, against any and all claims arising from your use of the data. You agree not to redistribute the data without this notice.
If an unforeseen or unexpected event (including, but not limited to: someone cheating; a virus, bug, or catastrophic event corrupting data or the submission platform; someone discovering a flaw in the data or modalities of the challenge) that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the contest, we reserve the right to select winners based on the criteria specified above from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the contest.
Computer “hacking” is unlawful. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in any way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future contests, so please play fairly.