ChaLearn Looking at People 2015 - Track 2: Cultural Event Recognition Forum

Go back to competition Back to thread list Post in this thread

> External data usage

Dear organizers,

I can't see in the terms and conditions of this competition anything regarding the usage of external data. If omitted, I presume we are free to use whatever data we want to train our algorithms, am I right?

Thanks!

Posted by: cristian.canton @ June 18, 2015, 4:21 p.m.

Hello Cristian,

External data regarding cultural events is not allowed, but is is allowed, in the case of deep models, to use models trained with other datasets instead of having to train the model from scratch.
For instance, it is possible to use a network trained with ImageNet and fine-tune it to the problem at hand, but it's not allowed to use extra cultural images crawled from the internet.

I hope that solves your doubt.

Posted by: moliusimon @ June 18, 2015, 4:40 p.m.

I am a little confused. Just to confirm this. If I have a model trained on a lot of categories (~6k) which might involve some of the cultural events mentioned in the competition. Does fine-tuning from that model break the rules of the competition?

Posted by: vmalpani @ Aug. 31, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

Hello Vmalpani,

If the model was trained with images involving some cultural events, then it breaks the rules of the competition. You can use any pretrained model that does not include the category of cultural events.

Best,

Posted by: jfabianarteaga @ Sept. 1, 2015, 7:03 p.m.
Post in this thread