Rohde & Schwarz Engineering Competition 2021 - Qualifiers Forum

Go back to competition Back to thread list Post in this thread

> Struggling on how to proceed!!!

I have understood the concepts related to I/Q data and all the modulation types and orders. But the problem me and my team are facing is that when we try to plot the constellation diagram with the help of the I/Q data given , we get a plot that is completely different from the general constellation diagrams of PSK/QAM and it is unclear what type of modulation it depicts. Also we do not know if we are expected to train a model based on just the given 19 signals or can we use an external dataset to train our model for modulation classification using machine learning/deep learning. Another doubt would be how are we supposed to find the symbol rate using only the I/Q values??

We have tried our best researching on this topic and also have read many research papers in the process but still very unclear on the above mentioned topics. So if anyone can help and guide us in the right direction it would be really great.

Thank You

Posted by: Hrithik @ May 8, 2021, 10:05 p.m.

Hi,

I am glad you understood relevant concepts for the competition and how to handle the data. Regarding the constellation diagram, it is unclear why yours is different from PSK/QAM diagrams. I would suggest you debug your code and try to figure out what makes it so different.
I see you are opting for a machine learning solution. In our evaluation, we are interested only in your model's predictions. So, you can train your model with external dataset, as long as it helps you improve your model's performance and hence improve your score.
In your last question, you are wondering how to find symbol rate using only I/Q values. This is part of the competition and there are different answers to your question.

Good luck!

Posted by: ai_rookie @ May 10, 2021, 9:54 a.m.

Hi Hrithik,
regarding finding the symbol rate based on just the I/Q data: Did you do the warm-up with the R&S VSE tool? Were you able to find all the signal parameters of the 19 signals we gave to you? What were your findings?
If you didn't complete the warm-up, then I'd suggest you start with that.
Good luck!

Posted by: modulation_guru @ May 10, 2021, 2:41 p.m.
Post in this thread