Rohde & Schwarz Engineering Competition 2021 - Qualifiers Forum

Go back to competition Back to thread list Post in this thread

> Can you help a noob here 🥺 !!!

I am an engineering fresher and I am always willing to participate in big competitions. This is how I got information of Rohde And Schwarz.
To make it short I only know a little bit of python programming and I don't know where to start in this competition.
For past seven days me and my team , asked many seniors from our university to get started in this competition but they all told us you are fresher, to fully grasp the concept of signal processing , you first should have a good idea of Fourier Transform ,Z transform, and so on.

So me and my team thought of quitting this competition.
But I want to make most out of this competition. So even we don't qualify we want to learn new things. Is there a way we can learn from this competition as a fresher in engineering ?

Thanks !!!

Posted by: Swodesh @ May 7, 2021, 3 a.m.

Hi Swodesh,
Thanks for the interest in the Engineering Competition and your question. I think you have a very good attitude in that you seek for new challenges even though your studies have just started.
It is true that in order to solve the problem we challenged you with, you would need to have some understanding of basic concepts in signal processing. I guess you could start with the following topics:
- What is IQ data? How is it generated?
- How can I visualize IQ data and signals in general?
- What is the difference between sample and symbol rate?
- Why are signals modulated and what types of modulations exist?
For Python, you should probably look at tutorials of numpy, scipy, and matplotlib. Personally, I think this lab below is a great way to start:
http://witestlab.poly.edu/~ffund/el9043/labs/lab1.html
You don't have to follow the whole tutorial, but it teaches you some ways you could start with loading IQ data into Python.
Were you able to do the 'warm-up' with the VSE and did you find the missing parameters already?
Best regards and good luck!

Posted by: modulation_guru @ May 7, 2021, 12:03 p.m.
Post in this thread