DriveML Huawei Autonomous Vehicles Challenge Forum

Go back to competition Back to thread list Post in this thread

> Can't open sumo-gui

Just started on the starter_kit readme and after running ./install_deps.sh and following the instructions prompted I tried running sumo-gui and it just says:
FXAPP::openDisplay: unable to open display :0.0

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 for windows 10. Also, I think I set up the SUMO_HOME variable properly as when I run $ ls $SUMO_HOME/tools |grep lib I get the following:
lib
libsumo
sumolib

I've already tried a lot of different things so any help will be appreciated
Thanks,

Posted by: Team80 @ Nov. 1, 2019, 10:03 p.m.

Hello,

We don't presently test on Windows so the road will be bumpy. We went ahead and tried a few routes forward for you.

In your case, the issue seems to be the lack of an XServer running on your system. This looks like a deeper issue with the Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows 10, it does not officially support graphical applications. We've done a bit of experimentation with some of the unofficial methods of running graphical applications with Ubuntu on Windows 10, and we can't recommend it. The workarounds are unreliable and have very poor performance which will result in very long training times for your policies.

We also looked into adding native Windows support, with a more time we may be able to get this to work but we were last dealing with screen drawing issues with the underlaying game engine we use.

The best solution, and the one that will give best performance would be to do a system install of Ubuntu 18.04 on your machine. Another option - if you're familiar with docker we can share a docker image for you to use, but you'll be limited to using https://github.com/facebookresearch/visdom for visualizing observations (details on starter_kit/README.md), again not ideal.

Posted by: HuaweiUK @ Nov. 2, 2019, 3:54 p.m.

Could you please share the docker image.

Thank you

Posted by: Team25 @ Nov. 3, 2019, 7:39 p.m.

I posted the Dockerfile here w/ instructions: https://gist.github.com/JVillella/701a9d25aba6cf537b19c7cb4f6aba02

Posted by: HuaweiUK @ Nov. 4, 2019, 2 p.m.

@Team80, @Team25: were you folks able to move forward w/ either the Ubuntu partition, or the Dockerfile?

Posted by: HuaweiUK @ Nov. 6, 2019, 2:26 p.m.
Post in this thread